Thursday, November 6, 2008

Proposition 8

Lexi has to do a report on a person that's part of the American history. She has chosen Rosa Parks. As she was telling me why she chose her and the things she had learned about this incredible woman, she just couldn't wrap her mind around the fact that white people were so cruel to black people. As I tried to explain to her that it was a long time ago and so much has changed, and people have changed, and that we will now have a President that is black, tells us just how far America and it's people have really changed. Then I thought more about that and realized that that's not entirely true. With the passing of Prop 8, tells me nothing has really changed. We may as well tell all Gay and Lesbian people to get on the back of the bus. It's no different to me. I do not understand how not letting a gay couple marry and have the same rights that straight couples have is putting a "traditional" lifestyle at risk? What's traditional anyway? What it means to me might not mean the same to you. If by teaching our children that gay marriage and gay people should not have the same rights as you or me, is the traditional way then we may as well go back to days where women can't vote. I cannot believe people are so threatened by the idea of having to teach their children that ALL people are different and even though they may not be like you and me in a "traditional" way of thinking doesn't mean they don't deserve the same rights and respect that we "traditional" people get. Its just not right! Who are we to judge and tell someone else what's right for them, because we may be uncomfortable with their lifestyle? Get over it people! I don't care what faith you are, if you are taught to believe in Christ, then it is he who will judge! And yes, I think that by not giving them the same rights you are judging them on a lifestyle that is different from your own. You would be lying if you say otherwise.

I will not debate and argue with anyone over this topic. I'm very passionate about this, just as passionate as people who oppose it. And maybe I shouldn't even be posting it, its not likely to help their cause. But what I will do that will hopefully one day help, is to teach my children, that ALL people deserve the same rights and respect and love no matter what their race, sexual orientation, religion, or political views are.

10 comments:

Wendi said...

Dusty--thanks for sharing your opinion. I'm not debating or arguing with you, but I wanted to add that that isn't what prop 8 was about for me.

It was about me having the right to teach my kids values (all values--not just about gay/lesbian issues) but abortion, sex, etc.

I don't want them getting that education at school. There are plenty of other things that they need to learn there, and I don't think that falls under their jurisdiction.

I want to reserve the right to teach my kids about those things when I think they are old enough and mature enough to discuss and understand. And I feel like as a parent it's my right to decide that.

Just sharing another opinion! =)

Wendi said...

Summary--I don't want them teaching it is good OR bad. I just want the public school system to stay out of it.

dusty kay said...

I agree with that to Wendi, I want my children learning those type of things from me as well, and when I think they are ready. And they will, because no topic is off limits in my home. But I do think that for a lot of children their parents don't talk to them about those things. So they go to school learning from other children and usually aren't always getting the right info. That's where I support sex ed in school, I believe in teaching in abstinence yes, but lets face it, kids are having sex, and they need to know the risks and consequences of it. And if they aren't getting that at home they need to get it somewhere. I also think a sex ed class should be optional and up to the parent and child to decide if they are ready and or want to take the class.

Now, I DO NOT think that they should be taught in sex ed that abortion is ok or the right thing to do, that is for the parent to handle, and where they stand personally with that. But, having said that, they should be made aware of the choices that are out there. And women do have a right to choose. Again, just because its morally wrong for one person doesn't make it so for someone else. It's not anyone's business what Sally down the street has done. I don't know her situation, and who am I to judge her, just because it's something I personally couldn't do.

Thanks for sharing your opinion with me. :) I love hearing opinions, it can opens your eyes to a knew thinking process. But from blog hopping around, I've seen a lot of mean comments left on someone's blog for their opinions and beliefs. I'll admit I have done it once, and felt really bad about it. I just didn't stop to think before I commented.

Amber said...

We have different opinions on this for sure, but thank you for sharing your thoughts! I did read them and appreciate them!

Jessica said...

I understand what you are saying, it makes sense...

Prop 8 had educational implications. If you support it, then you support having your children learn about all of this stuff starting in elementary school.

Jessica said...

I started here, and then formed my own opinion about Prop 8.

http://www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/argu-rebut/argu-rebutt8.htm

dusty kay said...

Elementary school is young, but then, I know of a girl in 6th grade that was pregnant in a local school around here. So....what does that tell you...

Nic said...

I am with Dusty on this. Kids are just getting younger and younger and doing and talking about things that I had no idea about until late Junior High, maybe even High school. And although it is nice to live in the Utah bubble, this is really happening.
Okay, I said it, now I am done.

Montserrat said...

That's a great site that Jessie posted the link to. Non-partisan straightforward explanation of two sides of the issue.

What isn't talked about is the fact that the voters' rights were taken away by those four judges. We do live in a democracy and it is the voice of the people that makes it so. Under California's law gays have every right afforded those who are married, except for marraige, which in my view they gave up that right with the lifestyle they chose. This is an instance of wanting to "have it all" when you shouldn't be allowed to.

Another side to the issue that I haven't seen or heard of is the rights of those who choose to live in polygamy. They too are excluded with the passing of Prop 8. Why isn't it spoken of? Probably because a greater majority of Californians would have voted for Prop 8 if that was pointed out and also nullify the charge that this is purely a gay rights issue, which it isn't. It's just the voice of the people trying to strengthen the law of the land by putting those 14 words in California's constitution.

Great discussion you started Dusty!

Nic said...

Oh yeah, and I liked the website Jessie referred to as well. It was really quite informative. Thanks. ( I just really didn't know a whole lot about it... living 3000 miles away in the middle of the ocean on a beautiful paradise island) Eat your heart out freezing cold Utahns.